Data de Registro
    Mai/2003
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 14.396/1.802
    Dados: 4.805/392

AAR no HoI 3 - Barbarossa

BETA-preview Barbarossa After Action Report

A short Introduction

Barbarossa; the big one. At HOI2 divisional level this was already a tedious job altough a fun one; I honestly can’t count the times I have invaded Redsky land over the past years. Earlier this year I did a PBEM game of the TOAW mod Fire in the East. That one might very well be the most humongous game you can find. I loved it a lot as Hoi2 let me down on one point, sheer scale. With HOI3 it doesn’t anymore.

My rough guess of the number of divisions involved on the Soviet side is 300. We are talking about 1941 so, how many will there be in ’44 and ’45? A thousand? +? If that’s the case HOI3 will be fairly close in scale to FITE (about half the size). But, with the added advantage of having an AI, additional depth, worldwide war, unit building...well, much more. Most important probably....some AI aid if you need it on the corps and army level. I won’t use the later very much, except for some defence. This because I want to play this game like a supersized HOI2.

Right, some notes before I start. This will be a strictly Gameplay-AAR, something I didn’t do since...well 2005 or something . I don’t use sprites, as I like counters better. They give a little more info and make me feel like being a general-staff or Stavka general.
    Another thing, no screeny requests. In this AAR I want to show you the game as it progresses so I don’t go over to Argentina to show the provinces.
    One last thing: this AAR will end eventually. I play with a BETA preview version from April or May. At that time the game wasn’t quite finished nor was it optimized. And thus I will experience CTD’s, which can’t be avoided after a certain time. I don’t know how far into the game but I won’t be able to play on when it happens.
    Ok, let’s get this thing rolling, enjoy!

When the game is loaded I first go into the diplo screen. I am at war with the Axis, three of which are bordering me. Apparently I have a truce with the Finnish, I didn’t expect this actually, had the impression they were in it from the start. Even so I won’t leave the Finnish border unguarded as they are bound to come in later on. Several divisions of mine are stationed on their side of the border.
    The Japanese are part of the Axis but not willing to fight me as of yet.
    Then I have no friends at the moment, except for those who are with me because I treat them badly. But the won’t be of any use at all.

First things first. I need to get my government and laws organised, make sure I improve my army by researching some new techs and most important of all; build some new divisions to replace the inevitable losses of the Blitzkrieg.
    Two ministers are fired and two new ones appointed in their place, 20% more supplies and a higher organisation regain rate are the benefits of this change.
    Four changes in law are made as well. I want my industry to focus on supply and more IC to build stuff. Anything to keep the war-economy rolling.

The army is reorganised as well. I don’t want to wait 20% longer, we want the troops trained and in the field as quickly as possible. Next to that I want a lot of them. So the 1-year draft period is extended to three.

Choosing in which field to spend my tech points wasn’t hard at all. I will focus on soft and hard defence. As I only have 75% of the necessary officers and I will build a lot new units straight away I will have to focus primarily on educating as much new officers as possible however. This will limit the points I can spend on my techs.

I order my spies to focus on disrupting German production, anything to slow them down during the initial stages of the invasion. At my side of the border we will focus on counter-espionage.

Then we have production. Already I have decided to focus on the quantity of troops. I will take this a step further by recruiting a dozen cheap and quick units to fill the gaps with. Half of them being garrisons with which to anchor my new defensive line once I have fallen back further to the east. For example: a ring of garrisons around Kiev. The second part will consist of militia units. I know they aren’t strong and won’t be able to withstand a German division but when it comes to the numbers I might still win with them. Next to these twelve quick divisions 15 regular infantry division are being build. Half of them will consist of three brigades of infantry; the other half will have an added brigade of artillery for some more punch.
    With these new units I will hopefully be able to stop the German onslaught.

Chapter two: Stavka’s orders part I

After setting up the organisational part of my country it is time to look at the disposition of the Soviet army. Our army is large but badly positioned and I doubt the quality of the troops, not to speak of the quality of the divisions which will be build shortly due to my decisions. Remember the game is still paused which it will be for the remainder of this chapter as well.

The Soviet troops are split up in three parts. Slightly over a third of the troops are dug in on the border, the Western-Front. The second part of the divisions are stationed around important points just east of the Stalin Line. Then there is the remainder of the troops, which are much further to the east on the line Moscow, Georgia. To the north and south we also have the Leningrad and Caucasus fronts. The later will have to release several Corps to stiffen the Stalin line, the Leningrad front will defend the old capital and the vital port of Murmansk.

Next step is the reorganisation of the main line of defence. To the south I will attempt to hold back the Rumanian and German troops assailing Odessa. I don’t expect the immediate frontline to hold so I order the three corps in Odessa to create a ring of defences around the city. I choose to position the main defence here a bit closer to the city itself so the divisions won’t have to march as far and will have more time to dig in (maximum of 10 days).
    The armoured and mechanical divisions of Odessa Front’s mechanized corps are send further to the west in order to protect the unavoidable open flank.

To the west of Odessa, all the way to the Carpathians there is this huge gap in the line. Bad news is I don’t have the troops to defend it right now, they will have to be brought in from the Crimea. The good side is my enemy in this part of the front is only a bunch of rather slow Rumanian troops.
    The current plan is not to stop them until they are will within the borders and then attack them in the flank with motorized and armoured divisions.

A bit further to the west my entire line on the Hungarian and Southern Polish front are either withdrawn or strategically moved to the rear in an attempt to create a coherent defence on the Stalin line.

The central part of the line surprised me when I saw the Pripjet Marshes were actually woods and fields instead of marshes. I sure hope this will be something we only see in the Beta as it is one of the most important strategic terrain futures of Russia. From Orsha the 13th army fans out to create a defensive line from Wilno to Lida. In the north this will not be the final defensive position, as I will fall back on Vitsyebsk and Orsha later on in concert with my defences to the south.
    This is the first time I order a Corps to defend a certain position instead of sending the divisions there myself.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SFA ®

Periquito Carniceiro Avatar de Harpia
    Data de Registro
    Jan/2004
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 3.470/149
    Dados: 8.364/277
    Muito bom.

"Senhor, dai-me força para mudar o que pode ser mudado.
    Paciência para aceitar o que não pode ser mudado.
    E sabedoria para distinguir uma coisa de outra."
    www.caccst.org.br www.casaapoiocancer.org.br www.graacc.org.br www.amicca.org.br

MAKE BTC GREAT AGAIN Avatar de nigo
    Data de Registro
    Mai/2003
    Valeu/SFA
    Chapter three: Stavka’s orders part II

The Pripjet marshes will be defended with small forces and roadblocks. Here I have the advantage of terrain, I have a lot of it and will be able to fall back to the Dnjepr and the Polotsk landbridge (not sure how this future is named). I will thus leave all of Lithaunia to the Germans after only some general resistance, only defending Minsk and the river lines. Once I have build up my forces I will strike back at them. That’s the main plan, the big picture, however. For now, I am struggling to keep the Germans at bay long enough to build the intended defences.

A defensive position is created just south of the river Niemen, It’s flanks resting on the river to the north and the swamps to the south. The force should be strong enough to hold the Germans while the Western-front conducts a fighting withdraw to and through its position. They will move on towards Minsk and dig in.

One of the first battles fought on June 22nd is the one for the fortified town of Brest-Litovsk. An armoured corps has dug in but due to a command hick-up there is not enough infantry to support the force. As a consequence the corps will be badly mauled and the fortress premature lost.
    This part of the front is hit most severely on the early morning of the 22nd. Several powerful attacks throw my troops back. Strong as they are they are not strong enough to hold back the German forces.
    A fighting withdrawal is conducted all across the sector.

Further to the north the last bit of the Western Front, its flank is in the air, is almost non-existent. Here the Soviet troops first line of defence is set around Riga and on the Dvina river. A handful of divisions will be attempting to slow down the German hordes but no miracles are to be expected. Provinces are lost in quick succession and I just know it will take a whole lot of fighting to retake them later on (the stability of this Beta will probably not last until that point).

The Soviet Airforce, while not being the powerful force I wish it to be, is in reasonable shape. I have about three dozen units, which are grouped in eight ‘fleets’. Three fighter division will intercept Luftwaffe forces over the Western Front while three fleets composed of various types of bombers will interdict and attack the enemy forces. I will use them to disrupt attacks by ground attack and slow the enemy down by interdiction.
    More to the north the seventh unit will perform both roles at once.
    Main target for these air-fleets will be the two German spearheads. The northern one obviously aimed at Riga and Minsk, the southern at Kiev straight through the Stalin line. Planes operate above Odessa as well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SFA ®

Data de Registro
    Dez/2006
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 23/0
    Dados: 25/0
    Caralho, muito foda...

Data de Registro
    Abr/2006
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 2.824/45
    Dados: 498/44
    A AAR, fornece algumas informações interessantes, mas eu acho esse jogador um noob padrão, das AARs, mesmo sem ver a o HOI 3. Ele nem pensa em gaming the game ...

Acho que por isso que os caras não deixaram ninguém daqui testar o jogo, bah !

Bison online lemas :

Não peça nada que você não pode pegar.
    Aonde você vê crise eu vejo oportunidade.

Data de Registro
    Mai/2003
    Valeu/SFA
    Bison,

é uma AAR para apresentar o jogo mesmo

e nao fomos chamados por causa do alto indice de pirateiros por aqui

SFA ®

Data de Registro
    Mai/2003
    Valeu/SFA
    Chapter four: Leningrad and Murmansk

For some reason several of my divisions were still inside Finish borders. Not that I mend as I will then have a bit more depth for my defence and a good advance warning system. Good, the Leningrad front is a strong front, several strong armies in a good defensive position and fortifications on the main approaches to Peter’s old capital.

Further down the line, to the north, however, my defences aren’t as strong.
    Only a single weak corps protects the Murmansk line, which will be vital due to the Lend-Lease pact with the Allies.

At Murmansk itself a sizable force is stationed, which will be shortly reinforced by the two NKVD divisions I found in Archangelsk. The Finish are still neutral and only eyeing us from their trenches just across the border but the German forces in Finland attack straight away. The first move to the Murmansk rail line is thwarted quickly but if they build up some more forces for a second attempt I won’t come away as easy. I will need more troops here.

From Leningrad the Baltic fleet is sent out to patrol the Gulf of Finland. Even though it is of no use in the beta as there is no Naval AI yet.
    From Moscow two armies and the Stavka reserves move west (strategic movenemt) to take up positions in the Dnjepr area. They will be my new reserves for the Stalin line, which isn’t finished yet. Although several divisions are send on to fill threatened gaps straight away. The worst of these is the gap in the front west of Odessa, Rumanian troops are pouring through.
    At this moment idle divisions are called in from the Far East as well. Once they arrive they can create positions around Kiev and Minsk, moving the other reserves to the front. I will also need a reserve east of Riga as I will be in terrible peril if the Dvina river line breaks. But that’s all for the future.

SFA ®

Pastafarianista Avatar de Phack
    Data de Registro
    Fev/2006
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 6.582/617
    Dados: 1.374/478
    Curti essas flechas de movimentação!
    Mas AK 47 em pesquisa? haha

Eu gostava mais qdo a cor da província inteira mudava... Detesto esses riscos do EUIII

Data de Registro
    Dez/2007
    Valeu/SFA
    Recebidos: 882/54
    Dados: 2.748/274
    Citação Mensagem Original de Phack Ver Mensagem
    Esta resposta está oculta porque você está ignorando este membro. Exibir Citação
    Eu gostava mais qdo a cor da província inteira mudava... Detesto esses riscos do EUIII

Idem eu... detesto esses riscos do EUIII........

King in the North! King in the North!

Data de Registro
    Mai/2003
    Valeu/SFA
    se vcs olharem um mapa mundi da decada de 40, vão ver o mapa cheio de riscos

====================================================================== ==================================

Chapter five: Fall back on the Stalin line

A front wide reshuffle is in order as my unengaged forces try to find their positions as fast as possible. In the south I am lucky as the Germans don’t attack in full force and I can extract a good part of my troops to the main line of defence. You can see the void north-west of Odessa, in the marshes and south of Riga. The last one is filled in pretty quickly. The marshes will have to slow down the Germans all by themselves and I am preparing for a limited counter-attack on the Odessa front.

The extraction battles get worse and worse as I try to move my troops away from the blitzkrieg as fast as possible. The main plan is not to get them surrounded and at the same time hamper the German assault for as long as possible. Both tasks aren’t easy when your enemy is faster then you.

North of Brest-Litovsk, near Varana, on the border, a counterattack is made to keep open the line of retreat of Govorov Corps. The attack is a success and we throw back Bohme’s infantry division form its exposed position. It can’t be called more then a local success but it shows our troops have the will to fight at the necessary moments. More then 80% of all other combats on the front are lost however, and our troops are slowly retreating.

SFA ®

Informação do Tópico

Usuários Navegando pelo Tópico

Existe(m) atualmente 1 usuário(s) navegando pelo tópico. (0 membro(s) e 1 visitante(s))

Regras de Postagem